DRINKS COMPANY LIMITED GENERAL COMPANY HISTORY TOWARDS THE MANUFACTURE
OF SODA SYPHONS.
In 1911 a young couple moved to Peterborough to brew and sell Ginger
Beer and dandelion and burdock in stone jars. They became established
over the next few years with Sarah Adcock engaged in brewing and
her husband Leonard, selling and delivering the products on a one-horse
By 1928 the firm bought its first delivery vehicle, a Model T ford
van and Adcock’s (Peterborough) Ltd entered the soft drinks
In 1936 Adcocks began to bottle carbonated drinks as well as having
Soda syphons bottled for them by another local company called Hydrox
Ltd. As the business began to expand Sarah’s eldest son Lawrence
started working full time being joined shortly after by their other
son Keith.Adcocks continued to expand throughout the next few years
purchasing new filling equipment upon the way.
In 1954 Adcocks acquired Hydrox Limited and it was at this point
that Adcocks began to manufacture their own brand of Glass Soda
Syphons.The company began by washing the syphons by hand and refilling
them on the filling machine that they had purchased from Hydrox.A
paper label was applied to the neck of the bottle and they were
packed into wooden crates.
By 1969, and after the deaths of both founders, Adcocks had established
themselves as the largest Soft drinks manufacturers and suppliers
in the area. Keith’s son Graham Adcock had begun to work full
time and Adcocks had begun to win Gold and Silver medals in the
national British Bottlers Competitions.
Adcocks began to purchase new Screen Printed Glass Soda syphons
in the early 70’s to keep up with the demand from customers.
Each syphon had the company name and logo on the front to enhance
the way they looked.
Soda syphon sales continued to grow and during the 1970’s
the company continued to buy more syphons and upgraded their filling
equipment. By 1982 Adcocks had a full manufacturing plant in place
to wash and refill syphons as well as 2 other bottling plants for
flavoured carbonated drinks.
By 1986 Mr Keith Adcock and Mr Lawrence Adcock had both retired
leaving Graham to run the family business. Grahams eldest son Jon
joined the family business upon leaving school in 1986 followed
1 year later by his younger son Darren.
Over the next 5 years as plastic bottles became more popular it
was decided that the company would scale down its operation of flavoured
carbonated drinks and concentrate on glass soda syphons and a smaller
amount of soft drinks.
The company moved to new premises in Crowland near Peterborough
in 1992 and from here began to expand its soda syphon sales nationally.
In 1998 Graham Adcock retired due to ill health and Jon and Darren
were left to run the company as co-directors.
Jon & Darren continue to run the company today and will in 2011
celebrate 100 years of the Adcock family business being established
in the soft drinks industry.